Back in January I was making all of the usual resolutions to be healthier, lose weight etc. My 40th birthday was looming ahead and I really wanted to get in control of my health for good. I had been somewhat of a yo-yo dieter for years and I was getting tired of not seeing the results that I was hoping for. That’s when I came across a book, The End of Dieting: How to Live for Life, that has changed my life for the better. Some months before this, I started weaning myself off of dairy and replacing it with plant based alternatives. As much as I love cheese, it doesn’t love me back. So after reading this book and putting it into action I started seeing amazing results, and the best part was that I was feeling fabulous too. The only issue that I had was boredom with some of the food items listed so I started looking for ways to eat the same but with more excitement.
I had heard great things about eating a vegan diet and I was already eating a diet very similar to that so I thought, why not? That’s when I started finding so many wonderful, absolutely delicious recipes that are easy to make, and easy on your wallet too. Believe me, I had never intended to become a vegan, and the very thought of it seemed too over the top for this meat loving girl. I had no idea how easy it really was and just how little I would actually miss eating meat or dairy products.
Eating a vegan diet has turned my health around completely. I have lost just over 19 lbs. so far and am nearly down to my goal weight. I have so much more energy than I used to have and just feel good from the inside out.
However, what’s a vegan girl to do when she’s craving something chocolatey and decadent? Make a batch of delicious vegan brownies of course!
These brownies are just…..perfection! They are thick, rich, dense, chewy, chocolatey and exactly what you’ve been craving. The best part is they are so easy to make! I opted to eat these without any additional toppings but you could always add your own frosting as well.
I hope you love these brownies as much as I do!
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup raw sugar, depending on sweetness
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened, organic apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the water, apple sauce and vanilla; mix until combined.
- Spread evenly in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops of brownies look dry. Do not overcook.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in airtight container in fridge.
- More or less sugar can be added depending on your personal taste.