The days are getting longer and the temperatures are getting hotter. Sun protection is so important. Coolibar, a leading sun protective clothing company in the United States, offers sun protection tips for families this summer.
Teach kids that being safe in the sun is as important as wearing a bike helmet! Preventing sun exposure now helps prevent skin cancer in the future.
· Make sure to wear lightweight clothing that is tightly woven (t-shirts do NOT block UV rays!), and contains a UV protection factor of 50. At Coolibar, all clothing has a UPF of at least 50 and is guaranteed to never wash out or fade. Sun-protective clothing is the BEST way to ensure skin is protected from UV when out in the sun.
· Pack your own sunscreen whenever possible to ensure it will be readily available, and to save some money. Popular vacation destinations often double or triple the price of sunscreen on-site.
· Make sure to reapply sunscreen to areas not covered with clothing EVERY two hours, when done swimming, and after lots of sweating. You can minimize the amount of sunscreen needed (and avoid the chasing and tears when applying) by covering kids as much as possible with sun-protective clothing.
· Make sun protection fun! Choose clothing that kids get excited about so they will love wearing it. Cooilbar¹s monster tee line features fun and silly graphics with the same wash and wear-resistant 50 + UPF.
· Adults need protection too, and more coverage is better. Pack long-sleeve sun-protective shirts and wraps for long days in the sun, or for when it¹s a chilly day.
· Make sure the kids take regular breaks from the sun especially between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when UV rays are strongest, and make sure they are drinking lots of water. Set your phone¹s alarm for reminders to get your family in the shade, reapply sunscreen and get some water.
· Hats are a huge defense against UV exposure! Longer brims add protection to the neck, shoulders and torso, as well as the face and top of the head. For every inch of brim, you reduce your lifetime risk of skin cancer by 10%.
· Choose sun-protective clothing that folds easily and dries quickly, so you take up less room in your suitcase! Moisture-wicking clothing allows for a quick rinse at the end of the day and will often be dry and ready to wear the next morning.