Halloween is just around the corner, and every child wants to look just like their favorite movie character this year. Jenna Fernandes, CEO of CareBooker.com, the “Open Table” of family and pet care services, offers ideas for parents to help kids make their own popular Halloween costumes.
From the scariest villain to a classic super hero, here are the top 5 DIY trends in Halloween costumes for 2014:
1. Frozen: There should be no surprise here. The Disney movie captured the hearts of millions of kids (and adults!). With Elsa costumes flying off the shelf, you may need to act fast on securing your little one’s costume before they sell out. You can make your own making a cape out of magenta fabric, using a blue princess dress and finish by styling your child’s hair in braids.
2. Maleficent: Disney’s evil queens never go out of style, and Maleficent is the next character to add to the iconic list of costumes. This one is easy to put together if you can’t find it in the stores – look for a long black dress, black crown, and wings.
3. The Lego Movie: Think colorful handmade cardboard boxes – this is something kids can help to make their Lego costume their own. Plus, it’s a great group costume idea!
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Not only is this nostalgic for parents, the new movie brought on a whole new generation of fans. Paint a disposable baking pan green for a makeshift shell and add a colored bandana around their head to complete the look.
5. Spiderman/Captain America: Superheroes are a staple for any Halloween and this year is no exception. Your little one wants to save the world – and this isn’t a bad thing! Here’s a tip – a lot of stores have Spiderman and Captain America Pajamas, so if you have young child that will be dressing up for Halloween, you may want to opt for the PJs rather than a full costume. This keeps them warm and comfortable, and they will be ready for bed when you get home!