In honor of my Cajun roots and the fact that Mardi Gras is just around the corner, I wanted to share one of my most favorite dishes that is not only super easy to make, but delicious and frugal too. This version of Cajun Red Beans & Rice is made in my slow cooker, which makes it even better!
Servings: about 10 (makes a lot, you can half this recipe easily)
- 1.5 lbs. dried red beans
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic gloves, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 1.5 lbs Polish sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning such as Tony Chachere's
- cooked rice
- Louisiana hot sauce (or your favorite, to taste)
- Rinse your red beans carefully and pour into slow cooker.
- Add water and bouillon cubes.
- Add onion, green pepper, and garlic.
- Toss in the sausage and Creole seasoning.
- Cook on high for about 8 hours.
- Serve over cooked rice, and if you're feeling brave, add a little dash of Louisiana hot sauce. 🙂