With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes for apple pie! This is the only way that I make apple pie anymore. It is the yummiest apple pie in my humble opinion. Not only is it delicious, but it’s so easy to make.
Servings: makes one deep dish pie
You will need:
about 4 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
1 unbaked deep dish pie crust, or your own homemade crust
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup chilled butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Press the pie crust into and up the sides of a deep dish pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and salt. Mix in the sour cream, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add apples, and stir to coat. Scrape the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for 30 minutes more.
- While the pie is baking, prepare the topping in a medium bowl. Stir together 1/3 cup of flour, 1/2 cup sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- After the 30 minute bake time has passed, cover the top of the pie with the crumb topping, and continue to bake for 20 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned and apples are tender. Allow the pie to cool, then refrigerate until chilled before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!