This is a really easy and fun craft to do this summer with your kiddos. These are basically just ordinary Chinese paper lanterns but with a few fun extras added to make them a little fancier! You can really let your imagination go wild with these and they’ll always turn out looking beautiful. They are a fun way to decorate for an outdoor picnic or even a child’s room!
You will need:
Construction paper, all colors
Tissue paper, all colors
glue or tape
ruler and pencils, crayons, or markers
1. Begin by using your ruler to measure one inch from the short edge of a sheet of construction paper. Cut this one inch strip off of the top of the paper. Set aside for later. This strip will be used to make the lantern handle.
2. Now fold the sheet of construction paper in half, lengthwise. With your scissors, make cuts from the folded edge of the paper , leaving about an inch of uncut space at the top.
3. Now unfold the sheet of construction paper and fold the short edges together at the ends to form the lantern. Secure the ends with tape or glue.
4. Add a little glue to both ends of the one inch strip of paper that was set aside earlier, and attach this to the top of the lantern.
5. Now for the fun part! It’s time to decorate your paper lantern. For this lantern, we added some glitter around the top and bottom edge first. Then we used some paper flowers that we had from a previous craft, plus some scraps of tissue paper to make some pretty decorations for the lantern.
6. You can vary the cuts you make in your lantern to make them a little more interesting as well. For this lantern, I cut wavy lines in the yellow paper, and once it was folded, I also inserted a rolled sheet of green paper into the middle to add contrast. Then we glued some tiny bits of tissue paper onto the outside. Just use your imagination here! 🙂
Hope you enjoy this easy craft! I’d love to hear about your creations as well! 🙂