We heart our sponsors and want you to know that this post may contain affiliate links, which means we earn money or product samples from the companies mentioned.
This is a fun craft that you can do with your kids this summer! It’s easy and doesn’t require many supplies, plus it makes a great craft idea for birthday parties as well.
These cute rockets really fly far too!
You will need:
Standard sized envelopes
Smoothie straws…these are the best type for this craft, and can be found at Wal-Mart right now. They are extra wide drinking straws.
tissue paper (optional)
markers, stickers, glitter or anything else that you would like to decorate your rockets with
1. Take an envelope and seal it closed. Next, draw two lines on the envelope, making the rocket body, similar to the photo below.
2. Cut along the lines, and then use tape to seal both long sides of the rocket.
3. Now decorate your rocket with anything you can think of! Use markers, stickers, or even sparkly glitter!
4. Totally optional step, but fun! Take some colored pieces of tissue paper, cut them into thin strips, and wrap them around the open end of your rocket. Secure with tape.
5. Take one of the smoothie straws and cut about 2 inches off of one end. Place the straw inside the rocket. These are the same smoothie straws that I found at Wal-Mart for this craft, and they really do work the best. I tried this with regular drinking straws and they didn’t work nearly as well. You need the larger straws to be able to blow enough air into your rockets to really make them fly! 🙂
6. Now for the fun! Take your straw rocket outside and see how far it can fly! Take a deep breath, blow air through the straw and watch your rocket go!